Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Holding My Breath on the Cusp of Spring


Though the leaves often do redden in fall, the tree is named for its buds!
 
The warm sunshine today put me in mind of my neglected phenology observations, and the coming burst of spring growth.  I finally decided on a red maple (Acer rubrum) to observe: it's a small street tree I pass when I take the dogs around the block.  Already the buds seem on the point of swelling, but the National Phenology Network won't consider these buds to be "breaking" until the tip of a leaf peeks out the end of the bud.  I intend to watch for much subtler changes.

The above Acer rubrum, red maple (aka swamp maple), is not to be confused with 
the alien invasive Norway maple, (below) with its larger, broader leaf which has no teeth.




No comments:

Post a Comment